Montana VA Health Care System
Veterans: Get your free 2020 flu shot!
Montana VA Announces Statewide Flu Clinics for Veterans: Flu Shots Are Especially Important During Pandemic
The Montana VA Health Care System (MTVAHCS) is excited to announce its flu clinic schedule at fourteen sites across Montana. Flu clinics and walk-in flu shots are available for Veterans in Anaconda, Bozeman, Billings, Cut Bank, Fort Harrison/Helena, Glasgow, Glendive, Great Falls, Havre, Hamilton, Kalispell, Lewistown, Miles City, and Missoula (Details for each site are below).
By getting the flu shot, we set ourselves up to be as healthy as possible. Plus, the healthy habits that 2020 has normalized—covering your cough, washing your hands often, and staying home when you are sick—will continue to protect us all as we enter flu season.
The facts about influenza are that it can cause severe illness and is a vaccine-preventable disease. In 2019, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated there were more than 410,000 flu hospitalizations and more than 24,000 deaths in the United States during the flu season.
“In minimizing our risk of influenza, we make a decision that is the most responsible and proactive for ourselves and our community. The flu shot protects ourselves, our loved ones, the healthcare professionals who care for us, and our most vulnerable populations,” said MTVAHCS Executive Director, Dr. Judy Hayman.
The flu will have the most negative impacts on high risk groups such as adults who are 65 years or older, pregnant women, people in nursing homes and long-term care facilities, individuals with medical conditions (such as heart disease, asthma, and kidney or liver disorders), and people weakened immune symptoms.
“People that receive the influenza vaccine have a reduced risk of being infected with influenza and becoming very ill as a result of infection. Reducing influenza-related illness and complications will help preserve resources for COVID-19 response. This makes getting vaccinated even more important this influenza season,” explained MTVAHCS Infection Preventionist, Christie Wilson.
Veterans have multiple options to get their flu shot this year. First, Veterans with scheduled MTVAHCS appointments will be offered flu shots at the time of their appointment. Second, MTVAHCS clinics across the state are holding drive-thru or walk-in flu clinics. Finally, Montana Veterans can find community locations to get no-cost flu shots at flu shot locations across Montana (via www.va.gov/communitycare/flushot.asp).
2020 MTVAHCS Flu Clinic Information
Anaconda VA Clinic: 118 E 7th St., Anaconda MT, 59701
- Veterans can receive flu shots at a drive-up flu clinic located in the clinic’s back parking lot every Wednesday from 10/14-11/18* (*with the exception of 11/11) from 10:00 a.m. through 2:00 p.m.
- Flu vaccines are available inside the clinic all days of operation, Monday through Friday (except during federal holidays) from 8:15 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Scheduled visits are preferred, but walk-ins are welcome.
Bozeman VA Clinic: 300 North Willson Avenue (Suite 703G), Bozeman, MT 59715
Veterans can walk into the Bozeman VA clinic Monday through Friday to get a flu shot.
The clinic is also holding drive-thru flu clinics in the parking lot across Willson street (adjacent to the clinic to the west of the clinic) on these dates.
Billings VA Clinic: 1766 Majestic Lane, Billings, 59102
- Drive-Thru Flu Clinic Date: Tuesday, October 6th from 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.To receive a flu shot, all Veterans will remain in their vehicle and staff will come to them.
- Veterans can also receive flu shots every Wednesday from 8:00-11:00 a.m. or Thursday from 1:00-3:00 p.m. No appointment necessary!
Cut Bank VA Clinic: 8 Second Avenue Southeast, Cut Bank, MT 59427
Walk-in flu clinics are held every Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. until 10:00 a.m.
Fort Harrison/Helena VA Medical Center Flu Clinic Information, 3687 Veterans Drive, Fort Harrison
- Drive-Thru Flu Clinic Date: Tuesday, October 6th from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.To receive a flu shot, all Veterans will remain in their vehicle and staff will come to them.
- Veterans can also receive flu shots every Monday and Wednesday from 8:30-10:30 a.m. outside of the Emergency Room entrance. No appointment necessary!
Glasgow VA Clinic: 630 2nd Avenue South (Suite A), Glasgow, MT 59230
Starting on October 9th, Glasgow-area Veterans can also come for walk-up flu shots from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Flu shots will be provided outside when possible.
Glasgow area Veterans have two drive-thru flu clinic options. To receive a flu shot, all Veterans will remain in their vehicle and staff will come to them.
- October 8th from 1:00-3:00 p.m.
- October 9th from 8:30-10:30 a.m.
Glendive VA Clinic: 2000 Montana Avenue, Glendive, MT 59330
- Veterans can receive flu shots at the VA Clinic every Monday, Tuesday, or Friday mornings from 8:30-12:00 p.m. or with your routine scheduled appointment at the VA.
Great Falls VA Clinic, 1400 29th Street South (Suite 1), Great Falls, MT 59405
- Drive-Thru Flu Clinic Date: Wednesday, October 7th from 9:00 a.m. through 3:00 p.m. To receive a flu shot, all Veterans will remain in their vehicle and staff will come to them.
- Veterans can also receive walk-in flu shots at the clinic on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:00-4:00 p.m. No appointment necessary!
Havre VA Clinic, 130 13th Street (Suite 1), Havre, MT 59501
- On Mondays and Tuesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Veterans should drive up to the front of the clinic and call 265-4304, ext. 2241 and staff will come outside to give Veterans their flu shots.
Hamilton VA Clinic: 299 Fairgrounds Road (Suite A), Hamilton, MT 59840
Drive-Thru Flu Clinic Dates (To receive a flu shot, all Veterans will remain in their vehicle and staff will come to them):
- October 7th from 8:00-10:00 a.m.
Kalispell VA Clinic: 31 Three Mile Drive, Kalispell
Walk-in flu clinics will be held every Wednesday from 8:00-10:00 a.m. through October 28th. No appointment necessary!
Lewistown VA Clinic: 629 Northeast Main Street (Suite 1), Lewistown, MT 59457
- Starting on Sept. 28, Veterans can also come for walk-up flu shots from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. It is preferred that Veterans call 406-535-4790 to set up an appointment in advance. Flu shots will be provided outside when possible.
Miles City VA Clinic: 210 South Winchester Avenue, Miles City, MT 59301
- Veterans can receive walk-in flu shots at the clinic on Wednesday or Friday afternoons from 1:00-4:00 p.m. or with a scheduled appointment.
Missoula VA Clinic: 2687 Palmer Street, Missoula, MT 59808
Missoula-area Veterans have two remaining drive-thru flu clinic options. To receive a flu shot, all Veterans will remain in their vehicle and staff will come to them.
- Monday, October 5th from 12:30-4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 7th from 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m.
Missoula-area Veterans can also come into the clinic’s C3 Lobby for walk-in flu shots through October 19th during these days:
- Mondays from 12:00-4:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.