Montana VA Health Care System
Are you concerned that you or your Veteran may be showing early signs of dementia?
Contact the Veteran's primary care physician today! If the Veteran is routinely seen for primary care at Fort Harrison, call the Fort Harrison Ambulatory Care clinic at 406-447-6750.
If the Veteran is routinely seen at a clinic other than Fort Harrison, click HERE for our Community Clinic directory.
New to Caregiving?
Have you recently become a Family Caregiver of a Veteran? Feeling overwhelmed? Visit the VA Montana Caregiver Support Program for more information.
Considering a nursing home for your Veteran suffering from Alzheimer's or related dementia?
Overview of Dementia
The biggest contributing factor to dementia is Alzheimer’s disease. Dementia is a progressive disease meaning the symptoms get worse over time. There is no known cure for Alzheimer’s disease; there are some medications and treatment strategies that can help improve the quality of life. Dementia affects memory, thinking, ability to reason, and the ability to care for oneself. Dementia has some common symptoms but each person experience will be different. Alzheimer’s disease has three stages.
- difficulty preforming tasks (i.e. following recipe, trouble with driving)
- Loss of interest
- Problems finding words
- Diminished judgement
- Confusion (i.e. may misplace things, forget how things work, loose something and accuse someone of stealing it)
- short term memory loss
- aggression (i.e. may be set off by a trigger in the environment)
- Need constant care or inability to care for self
- Loss of verbal abilities (i.e. can’t make needs known)
- Uncontrollable movements
- Unable to recognize family friends
- Inability to sleep
Dementia Warning Signs that patients and caregivers may report
- Asking the same questions over and over again.
- Becoming lost in familiar places.
- Not being able to follow directions.
- Getting very confused about time, people and places.
- Problems with self-care, nutrition, bathing or safety.
- Fort Harrison VA Medical Center
Hours of Operation
- 8:00 am to 4:30 pm